Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mother's Day...2011

Not that anyone still reads my blog or cares..(but I will continue to post on it as my journal to someday look back on), anyway I can't leave out my Mother's Day post, because it has become one of my favorite holidays as it represents what I love and treasure most about my life. I love also to celebrate my own Mom, Step-Mom and Mother-in-Law on a day that they deserve to be celebrated!
This year I learned something. Well it's something I think I've learned through other experiences before, so I guess I was more reminded of it. As Lars is pretty much out of commission, I had zero expectation of big Mother's Day plans...I knew it was going to kind of just be another Sunday and that was fine with me. So back to my point...in past Mother's Days I think I had high expectations and when the day didn't turn out like I thought it should I would end up disappointed, so I guess what I am saying is when you lower your expectations there is no disappointment, just gratefulness for simple things. I woke up when the boys got up around 7:30 and usually would have loved for Lars to get up with them and let me sleep in, but that just isn't possible right now therefore I wasn't expecting it...and it was okay. Then Ashton went and got the things he'd made for me at school and at his church class and as I read his sweet words in his cute handwriting with words spelled in his own way, I cried because I knew they were his own thoughts that no one told him to write. There is no other gift I would want more. (too bad my scanner won't work!!) Anyway...then I could see he was thinking about what else he could do for me, and he said "Hey since it's Sunday I don't usually have to do my chores, but today it's Mother's Day so I'm going to make my bed anyway so that you don't have to." Honestly just to see him come up with that little thing on his own, something to help me out...completely made my day! This little boy is always sweet to me...This year there was no breakfast in bed...so I made the boys and Lars chocolate chip pancakes, then got ready for church and took them on my own. My next gift was that they behaved so well! (Simple things...)


We ususally go to our church's big Mother's Day Brunch and actually Lars usually works at it...but obviously that was out, so we just came home and spent the rest of the day at home, then met up with our friends the Villas at Rumbi for dinner. It was fun and good for Lars to get out for a little bit.

All in all a great day...oh and Lars of course thought ahead and went out (on his hurt achilles tendon...a couple days before surgery) and got me a card and gift card to the running store & threw in $50 from his poker stash :) Thanks hun! And thanks Ashton and Gunnar...I love being your Mom. Every. Single. Day. You are both such blessings in my life...and the best little boys ever!

6 comments:

horsehug said...

I still read your blog and this post was wonderful :) I also love Mothers Day and have gotten the most wonderful notes, emails, and cards from all of you over the years that have made my day also. :)

Ashley said...

I too still love reading your blog. It is one of the first things I look at when I get in to work and I am always bummed when there isn't a new post. But ALWAYS happy when there is a new one and I get to find out what you guys are doing. Sounds like you had a wonderful mother's day!

Angie said...

Awe... it sounds like a wonderful, low-key Mother's Day!! That's kind of how mine was here too. And thanks for putting the picture of your get together with the Villa's! It's been so long since I've seen them - it was good to see their faces again.

Elizabeth said...

Jess I am like Ashley (maybe we are twins) and LOVE reading about you and the boys. It is hard being so far away from family, but I am thankful that I am able to keep up with what you all are doing! I am so thankful for all the things my mom did for us growing up and I know your boys will be too. I am so sorry to hear about Lars. I hope you all can adjust while he is healing, but I can only imagine how challenging it is for you all. Hang in there, thanks for always posting such cute pictures and funny sayings from the boys. xoxo

Jody said...

WOW! What a great post! You always amaze me! I STILL read your blog! It must be because we are getting a little older, we can appreciate the "SIMPLE" things in life and it means so much more than the big stuff. Or maybe we have realized how truly blessed we are.. Love ya girl.. Keep your chin up, it really stinks when the hubby is laid up.

The Hoths said...

I love this post! And you are so dang pretty in all of your pictures...you are so photogenic!