Sunday, March 29, 2009

The party...

Gunnar's party yesterday was so fun. We decided to keep it kind of small so it wouldn't be too overwhelming for him (or Ashton), so we invited my Mom, Lars' parents, Gunnar's Godparents Tony and Angie (and their daughter Arianna) and Gunnar's little friend Amalia and her brothers Dante, and Julius and their parents Aurora and Gio. It was a perfect number of people and great to have a couple friends there for Ashton. Of course we had invited his Texas grandparents, my step-dad and Gunnar's aunts and uncles too, but they were all unable to come.
After everyone showed up we had fruit and fruit dip, veggie pizza, hotwings, chips & salsa and the kids played for awhile, then after much begging from Ashton we let him "help" Gunnar open his presents. Now what that turned into was him and the other little boys tearing into them like crazy one after the other giving Gunnar hardly a chance to even look at anything, and me not knowing who things were from. Kind of a circus!!! Not that Gunnar cared or understood and he eventually got around to playing with everything, so it was fun.
Ashton picked out and wrapped this green ball for him :)We got him this...and this... ...and he has loved both of them. That is when he gets a chance to play with them in between times of Ashton playing with them.
He also got this from Grandma and LOVES it! Look at that smile!(luckily the weight limit will still hold Ashton's skinny little body) and they both love this little phone and keys too from her. Amalia got him this cute little train set that he loves pushing around and his Godparents (and kids) got him these... ...and way too much money-I forgot to talk to you two about that! You are so sweet to him. Thanks for the balloons and food you guys brought too!
When he gets a few more teeth, he can dig in to the chocolate.
Ashton asked me if he'd already eaten it all! ha!
Lars' parents gave him a wall hanging with his name on it and some money and sent this little people school house from Aunt Shelley and the kids.
After all of that craziness it was on to the cake...
I had found these cute polkadot plates and napkins at Target a couple months ago and kind of wanted to do a polkadot theme. So I started to think of how I could do a cute cake to go with that. Then it came to me to do a caterpillar and I got online and found a bunch of cute ideas. Once I saw them the idea was planted in my head and I was so excited to try to make one (I am so not a cake decorator!) I ordered all of my supplies and luckily decided to make it Friday night. I had been planning on just making it on Saturday, but it ended up taking about 6 hours! So I was so glad that I just got it done early...it would have been crazy to be trying to do it yesterday.
Here it is...The cute head... (my favorite part was the fake eyelashes)
Had to have a one of Gunnar's new pictures displayed with it!It was sweet when Lars saw it (after it was finally done at 11:00!) he said, "Now how are you ever going to cut into it? It's not a cake, it's a masterpiece!" Ha! I wouldn't say that, but I think it turned out pretty cute! And it was kind of hard to cut into the poor little guy! I loved how it went along with the polkadots and I think Gunnar liked it too.After we all sang Happy Birthday to him
(twice because he liked it so much...he smiled and smiled)...we gave him the head to dig into. Now I thought he would be the kid that would dig right in and chow down, but it was about 6:00 and he was getting tired and kind of onry, so he didn't want much to do with it. He did eat some and got pretty messy, but then he just wanted to get down.
After everyone else ate some of the rest of the cake,
(poor cut up little caterpillar)... ...Lars took the boys out to fly kites. He had gotten them for party favors for the kids and it ended up to be a perfect kite flying day! They did that for about an hour and a half and had so much fun.

We took the babies out to watch, then it was time for everyone to go home and get the boys in to bed after a long day.

Gunnar slept so good last night...for the most part he's been doing pretty good-he still has his nights where he cries out a couple times, but so much better overall.
I'm finally getting some sleep!
I can't believe we have a 1 year old...Some of his favorite things:
  • Mommy
  • Daddy and Ashton
  • EATING!
  • Taking baths
  • Dropping things and saying uh-oh repeatedly
  • Smiling and saying hi to EVERYONE he sees
  • Playing with anything that is Ashton's
  • Being outside...it's a whole new world out there and he loves to get down and explore
  • His fleece blankies he sleeps with
  • Being held and carried around
  • Having something in both hands at all times...whether he's eating or playing, his hands have to be full
  • Walking around on his knees...it's so cute!
  • Music and dancing to it!

His least favorite things:

  • Getting his diaper changed
  • Getting dressed
  • Getting his face or nose wiped

Otherwise such a happy kid!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Gunnar! After reading the play-by-play for the birthday party I feel like I was there! What a cute cake too! My mom use to spend hours decorating the cakes for our birthday.

Tell Gunnar to stop growing up so fast!

Jody said...

Holy Caterpillar!! You are amazing!! I am in aw~~! Looks like you had a Great Party!! Sorry we couldn't come! Great new toys for the boy!! Do you hire out for cakes? I will give you about 18 days to make it!! He is such a cute, fun, little boy!! So glad you had such a special day.. Once again that cake it the cutest thing I have ever seen!!

Nora said...

We had such a joyful time celebrating Gunnar's Birthday.You and Lars are the best of parents.Thanks for putting up with us.Papa & Nana

Ballard Family said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy! What a great party! Your cake was super cute! Props to you now that I know how much work those things are. He's such a cutie!

fourballerinas said...

Wow, I can't believe he's already 1!! How fast time flies. I loved his 1 year pictures. Is his hair red? He has such a different look than Ashton as he's getting older. So cute. Loved the cake you're awesome. I loved your little "journal" about the first year. I'm proud of you too for making it 1 year of nursing. You really feel like you did something great for your kid when you make it a year. And the best thing is that it's free and it's free exercise too (burning calories while you rest with your baby). Looks like Brady is probably going to be in Logan on June 14-20 for some class at usu. We will probably come with him for some of the time. We'll have to see you guys. Brady will have to fish with Lars like old times. Sorry this is so lengthy! happy b-day Gunnar.
Audrey

Jody said...

Hey I showed Geoff your cake!! He is very impressed!! Maybe we could make one and freeze it!! I'm just teasing.. But, I still can't get over how stinking cute it is!!

Ballard Family said...

Tuesday or Thursdays work good for me. Jett goes to peschool from 12:30-2:30 those days. So that would work good, I could even have him go home with one of his friends from preschool if I was going to be a little later. Let me know when you have free day!

Erica said...

I still can't get over that he is 'one'. Time definitely flies by. You have the cutest kids and what do you mean you aren't a cake decorator. That caterpillar was darling.