Monday, August 31, 2009

Countdown to school...

Ashton's school is one of the latest to start I think...he still has a week and a half before his first day. He is getting so excited!

In the meantime, I'm having to get creative to find things to do these last couple weeks...especially since our lawn got fertilized today and we couldn't really be outside on it. We did go for a walk this morning like usual, but after that we spent the entire rest of the day inside. I think Gunnar is trying to make his transition to one nap, so he slept from a little after 10:00 this moring till almost 1:00. While he slept and I got ready for the day Ashton played with his buddy Jace. Lars let them use his hunting "walkie talkies" so they played with those for about an hour, then found other things to do before it was time to split up for lunch.
Then this afternoon I turned on some music for Ashton and Gunnar (like we do lots of times lately) and they had a little dance party in the living room. The two of them will do this FOREVER! They love it. Lars teaches them all sorts of crazy dance moves and they can't get enough of it. I had to get out the video camera today to record some of it.
(taking a break to snuggle on the floor...)
While I had them busy doing that, I whipped up some banana/chocolate chip bread. Then Ashton started to get a little bored, so I made him this big paper mustache and that entertained him for the next hour or so. He thought it was so fun to tape it on to his face. His friends came back over and wanted one too...yes I know...kind of ridiculous, but so fun for 4 year olds!
I even made one for Gunnar, but I had to hold his hands down so he wouldn't rip it off while I took a couple pictures.
hee hee!

While that entertained them, I put my cute apron back on (thanks Brianne!) and made yummy pineapple/blackbean enchiladas for dinner. Just having it on makes me more motivated to cook! (whatever it takes right???)
I tried to put Gunnar down for another nap around 4:00, but he just rolled around in his crib for about 20 minutes then decided he wasn't tired, so he got back up. Anyway somehow we made it to 5:30, when Daddy came home. For once dinner was on the table, so we all ate, then had time to walk down to the school park to play for awhile before it was time to go back home for more dance party!
It turned out to be a pretty good day...I had to laugh when at one point Ashton said..."It's a special day hu Mommy, cause we get to stay home ALL DAY!" He's back to his wanting to wear his pajamas all day, and if I choose not to fight that battle with him, he's happy as can be.
Now what to do tomorrow????

5 comments:

horsehug said...

Jessica, You are incredibly creative :-) And Lars must be too with his dance moves! haha I'd love to watch him teaching them dance moves!

Angie said...

Sounds like it was a great day (even without someplace to go!) Very creative with the mustache -- love it! And I also love that apron - so cute! Looks like you're the "Suburbia Mom: with that pose, your cute apron and you looking all cute for the day ha-ha

Jody said...

jEssica you are great!! funny girl!! Looks like the boys had a good time even though they stayed in all day!! Some old friend of yours wanted me to tell you "Hi" can you guess who it was!! YOu look good in the apron!!Sounds like you have been busy using it! Take Care

fourballerinas said...

We find ourselves staying in all day too. I'm to uncomfortable and I'm always looking for an excuse NOT to run errands and it's too hot/humid to be outside for me (even though it really isn't that bad). We finally venture into the backyard in the evenings sometimes and the girls love it. We've been working a lot (here and there) in our back yard too. I"m anxious to get it all done too. It's fun to have a place to relax and the kids can play.
Audrey

Mandy said...

I don't know where you come up with these idea - but the moustache ideas is so cute! I really want to see Lars' dance moves. Tell him the next time I come visit, he is demonstrating. So the apron works huh? I'm impressed!