Monday, March 29, 2010

Gunnar's Party...

On Sunday we had a fun party for Gunnar's birthday at a little park here in Providence. After counting how many people were going to come, I was praying for nice weather all week so that we could do it outside. Well I wouldn't really call it a "nice" day, but it wasn't too bad. Just really really WINDY!! But that actually worked out well...we gave all the kids kites and they had a blast flying them after eating, opening presents and having cake!
We had pizza, chef salad, and fruit salad and these cute little pops.
(I remember my Dad getting us these for picnics when we were little and they were always such a treat! And they reminded me of Gunnar...little and cute!)
After we ate, Gunnar opened presents. We set them out on the grass in the sun where it wasn't quite as cold and windy. He loved everything and it was so cute to see his reactions when he opened each thing.
Ashton sure loved helping him dig into everything... We got him this... ...and some new sand toys, a little bubble maker, new big boy undies and a new potty seat.
Ashton picked out these new pajamas for him.
He also got lots of Toy Story stuff and a LeapFrog Toy from his Godparents Tony and Angie, a firetruck from the Hanson boys, a cute little car race toy from the Villa kids, a camelback type backpack & some money from Nana & Papa, a little people airplane from Aunt Kelli, an ice cream maker playdough set & giant bottle of bubbles from his cousins and this cute furry spring horse from Grandma & Grandpa Harry. Spoiled! Thanks everyone!!!
For his cake I had the idea to do an airplane since he loves them so much. I got online and looked for cute ideas and found one I liked, so I ordered this cake pan.....thinking it was much bigger than it actually was. When I opened the box and took it out, it was about half the size I was expecting it to be! My sister and I were laughing so hard at it. Well anyway I decided I would just make 2 of them and some cupcakes to go with them. Then to decorate them I made these little star candies with a candy mold and my sister found these cute airplanes to go with them. (Thank you so much Kelli for all of your help!!) We handed out these little bags of them for party favors with the kites.
On the instructions for the cake pan it said that you could bake it in the microwave in only 6 minutes, so I had to try it. I figured if it didn't work out, I'd just try again in the oven. Well it did work! They tasted just like I'd baked them in the oven and it saved me a ton of time since I had to do 2 of them.
Anyway here they are... They were pretty fun to make and I think Gunnar loved them!
His "bling blanes"...
It was way too windy to keep candles lit, so we just sang Happy Birthday to him, then let him pretend to blow them out. He loved the singing...his little face was so cute to watch!Then it was time to cut up the planes and dish them out. They went fast, so I'm glad I did cupcakes too. Yum!
Ashton got mad at one point because he dropped the star off of his piece of cake on the ground, so I got this lovely picture of him :)After cake and ice cream it was time for kites. All the kids got to choose one, and they were up in the air in no time.
We actually did the same thing last year on Gunnar's birthday because it was such a similar windy day.
I think all the kids ended up flying them for about an hour on Sunday night!
So much fun!
Then we handed out our little party favors and it was time to head home.
HaPpY BiRtHdaY GuNnaR!
You are such a fun kid!We love you so much.
Please don't let your 3rd birthday sneak up on us so soon!

5 comments:

Jody said...

Couldn't wait for this post and it did not disappoint!! Looks like you had a wonderful time! You are one amazing mom!! My kids loved the cake and so did I! So adorable!! Glad you had such a wonderful time!! Sorry we missed it!! And Gunnar do not turn 3!! He seems like such a special little boy!! Potty training? I heard it is easier to train 2 so I will send Jenna right over!!

Ashley said...

What a fun day! I love the planes. You and Kelli did a great job with them.

Looks like Gunnar had a fun time flying kites. I LOVE the little horse...maybe he will like riding it so much he will get into riding the real thing!

fourballerinas said...

Happy Birthday Gunnar! What a cute little red head he is! Love the party- super cute cake. YOu're an awesome cake decorator. You should publish you blog into a book- you do such a good job keeping up on it. I just made my 2009 into a book and it turned out great. It's nice to have it on paper- the girls love to look at it. We've been flying kites too- it's been a very windy spring. See ya
Audrey

Melissa B. said...

Happy Birthday Gunnar! He is so cute. I can't believe he is two.

Lindee said...

so cute and fun! such a good mom you are!