Wednesday, April 13, 2011

CaLiFoRniA...

Kelli and I got to go on a little 4 day trip to California last week...(Thursday-Sunday). We went to visit our Dad's cousin Neil, who has actually always been more like an uncle or grandpa to us and has for years asked us when we were coming to see him. Well a few months ago I decided that I didn't want any more time to pass before we made a trip out to visit him, so I called and told him we were coming and booked our trip. He turned 80 in December although you'd never know it if you spent an hour with him. My gosh he has a better memory than anyone I know...he told us story after story of things taking place 50 or 60 years ago with all sorts of details that I would never remember! Same old Neil we've always known :) This was our first night there...eating at a yummy Italian restaurant where Neil of course new the whole family that owned it. It was SO good!It was fun to finally get to see where he lives...which is in a great little gated neighborhood in Salinas (closeby Monterey). We flew into San Jose and he drove the almost 2 hours there to pick us up. To me our trip had all the elements that make up a relaxing vacation...We ate out almost every meal, I got to sleep in every morning, took a nap one day, read a whole book and started another on the way home, went for a good run one morning, didn't have to clean or do dishes or laundry, got to spend some time outside and see a few sites around the area... (Lone Cypress Tree on 17 Mile Drive)(Beautiful view right next to the 18th hole of the Pebble Beach golf course...)(Carmel Mission Catholic Church...we attended mass there on Sunday)The Monterey Bay Aquarium... ...where Kelli (as she was trying to pet a stingray) dropped her whole purse in the tank! I realized later that I got a picture of her purse going in...we had a good laugh about it...hahahahaha! Mostly we just had fun catching up with Neil. He has to be one of the happiest friendliest people I know and doesn't go anywhere without making a new friend. Oh and we even got him set up on facebook while we were there...ha! Within a few hours he had almost 40 friends!


Love ya Neil...and thanks for your generosity, hospitality and your refreshing overall positive outlook on life. Always fun to see you!Oh and thanks to Lars for taking care of the boys all weekend...with the help of Nana and Papa in Price. I sure missed them, but they came home with all sorts of stories about how much fun they had!

3 comments:

The Hoths said...

Thanks for the invite! California looks like it was a blast...and the warm weather would have been heavenly! Hopefully we'll get warm here one day and we can see you outside on our many walks that we take in the summer. :)

fourballerinas said...

Wow!! How fun to have a weekend away. Brady and I are going to oregon this weekend just the 2 of us. his parents are coming and I'm nervous as heck that someone won't end up dead or maimed while we are away. It will be fun to spend time just the 2 of us. Glad you had a good time.
I love your trailer post. It makes me miss you guys and want to go camping with you guys. Are you getting a new one? Can't wait to see it.
Audrey

Mandy said...

Looks like fun! I remember Uncle Neil - he is a hoot! I'll have to look him up on facebook!