Saturday, October 31, 2009

Finally!!!

Halloween is finally here!
Last night we took the boys to the little Halloween carnival at the elementary school and on the way there Ashton says to me "Mommy...I'm am soooo happy that Halloween is tomorrow." Then a few minutes later..."I LOVE my Mario costume...it's so cool!" I kept looking in the rearview mirror and he never quit smiling. The carnival was kind of a zoo, but fun. Of course Ashton's favorite part was the little spook alley. He spent most of his tickets going through it over and over. Gunnar got in on the fun doing this little sucker game and the fishing game. Everyone loved their Mario and Luigi costumes. Ashton thought it was pretty cool that half of the kids that walked past him said "Hey Mario!" Gunnar had no clue why he was dressed up in this silly costume, but if Ashton's doing it, it must be fun!They only kept the moustaches on for a few minutes...Oh well!I made Ashton take a nap yesterday afternoon right along with Gunnar (it was a LONG day of waiting), so he was up late last night and was just too excited to sleep knowing that Halloween was finally almost here. Then he woke up about 6:00 am saying he was ready to get up, but I said no way and made him go back to sleep. He knew he could wear his costume as much as he wanted today, so he wore it to Einstein's for breakfast this morning and pretty much never took it off the rest of the day. Lars took him to trick-or-treat downtown at the stores while Gunnar napped, then we did what has become a yearly tradition on Halloween of going over to our friends across the street's house for chili and breadsticks, then it was time to hit the streets and get some candy.
Ashton could not wait!!! We started out strong and hit all of his friends' houses and a couple others, then guess what???
He was done...
He wanted to go home (just like last year). We wait and wait and wait for this fun night and after about 6 houses you want to go home Ashton???
But what do we do?
Make our kids keep trick-or-treating? Gunnar was actually having lots of fun and just getting the hang of it. Or at least loving all of the candy...but we just let them be done and went home. And really the less candy sitting around...the better.
Gunnar is already addicted!Yesterday he was trying to get into the pantry, so I followed him and asked him if he wanted a banana? "No." Do you want a granola bar? "No." How about some cereal? "No." Okay what do you want then Gunnar?
"Andy."
Yeah...the less candy the better I think!
Ashton really just wanted to be home, but still wear his costume and hand out candy. After we'd been home for a few minutes I see him doing this...camped out just waiting for the door bell to ring...
So of course Gunnar had to get in on it too...
About 45 minutes later Lars talked them into going back out and they hit a few more houses before they were really done for the night.
Another fun Halloween...I have a feeling Mario will stick around for the next few weeks. Ashton can't wait to transform into him again first thing in the morning.

8 comments:

Jody said...

Fun costumes!! My kids loved the Mario and Luigi!! Hankie of course loved Luigi the most because he is green.. They loved the mustaches too.. Glad you had a great time!! And really how much candy do they need? We could share tons with you.. Hope your doing great!!

horsehug said...

Jessica, What a fun blog!! I laughed and laughed again! Both Ashton and Gunnar are Such characters! And sorry if Gunnar has inherited his Grandma's sweet tooth!

Ballard Family said...

They look so cute! Happy Halloween!!!

Amy said...

Jes, I LOVE their costumes!! I showed Ethan and he absolutely loved them too. He was telling my mom he saw Mario and Luigi ha ha. I cannot believe your dad saw the Zac Brown band, I am so jealous. We are going for sure if they come. Which reminds me we need to hang out soon, since we are now over the "Slime flu". I love that he called it that, he is pretty accurate ha ha. I wanted you to take Whit's pics before she left but we were sick for like 2 weeks. But I still want you to take them of my boys if you can. Lets get together soon!!

annilee said...

Darling costumes! My kids used to want to go home when they were younger too! Now they stay out all night!

Angie said...

I love the costumes!! They were adorable - both of the boys! Ethan was so excited at night when he put on his PJs (Mario Cart ones) and exclaimed, "Mom, this is who Ashton and Gunnar were dressed up as!!"
And my boys had a blast waiting for the doorbell to ring too. They always have... but the SCREAM masks freaked both of them out!

Tallie Geddes said...

It was sooo much fun and yet I am sooo glad it's over. The picture of the boys sitting in front of the door made me lol!

Mandy said...

So cute ! Love the costumes. Hilarious that they are sitting at the door waiting for trick-or-treaters! Dylan loved that part too though.