Saturday, January 19, 2013

The rest of Christmas Break...

If I could sum up the rest of our Christmas break in one word it would be miserable. Sad, but true. After I started getting sick on Christmas, it all went downhill from there. I was really sick by the day after Christmas and was so thankful for Lars being home and for new Lego sets and other Christmas gifts to entertain the boys all day.
Thursday we had reservations to go stay in Lava and at that point if we had cancelled we wouldn't have been able to get our money back, so we decided to go ahead and go. I was still the only one who was sick at that point.
We got there early in the afternoon and checked in, then got ready to go sit in the hot pools. 
 Every year we've gone, we've gotten put in the same room...#6
They love to play in the little closet...
 Love these cute skinny legs in swimsuits and snowboots...
 It did feel good since it was so cold outside! But it was at that point that I could tell the boys were starting to not feel too well.
 They just weren't playing around and having fun like they usually do when we go up there. They were just sitting in the water, not looking very good.
So we stayed for awhile, then got dressed and went back to the room and got ready to go to dinner. Gunnar wouldn't eat anything, but Ashton ate all of his and seemed okay.
But when we got back to the room, they just laid around and were ready for bed. Not normal in a hotel room! They are usually bouncing off the walls till 10 pm. Gunnar zonked out by 8:00 and Ashton started running a fever not long after. 
And wouldn't you know we'd not thought to bring any ibuprofen for them, and the one gas station in town didn't carry kids ibuprofen! So Lars went back and got some adult tylenol and broke one in half and had Ashton take it. 
It was a miserable night...I was feeling even worse and the boys were feeling really bad too. We got up in the morning, packed out stuff and headed out by 8 or 8:30, didn't even stop for breakfast and poor Ashton threw up first walking to the truck from the room, then the whole way home off and on in a cup! Miserable!
It was a relief to get home on Friday and the 3 of us all laid in bed a lot of that day, and then we pretty much didn't leave the house for the next few days either. 
I just remember feeling horrible for days and feeling so bad for the boys too. And of course Lars...he didn't really get it until the last couple days of the break, but he didn't get a chance to get out and do anything the whole break. :(
We never did go to the doctor, but I'm convinced we actually got the flu this year. I don't think the boys have ever had it, and I can't remember having anything like it for years...maybe once when Lars and I were engaged.
Not fun! We totally spaced getting flu shots this year, but I also talked to people that had gotten them, and still got it as bad as we did, so who knows.
Luckily the boys were all better by the time it was time to go back to school, except for a little cough for Ashton.
But as I sit here typing this...3 1/2 weeks later, I am still getting over whatever we had!! I honestly have felt like it would never end. I did finally go to the doctor a few days ago and got put on an antibiotic just in case that would help get rid of it.
I coughed so hard I am pretty sure I cracked or at least strained a rib.
Oh well...at least it seems to mostly be over now. I think what's made it worse is that it has been so bitter cold and we've had such a bad inversion for so long this year, that the boys haven't been able to get outside much at all!
Usually we enjoy some winter stuff, but this year I am just ready for it to be over already. Too bad it's not anywhere close to being over!

1 comment:

Susan O. said...

I feel soo bad that you all were so sick for so long :(