Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ashton's first time skiing!

Last Monday night Lars' work had their company ski night up at Beaver Mountain, so we decided to go and get Asthon on a pair of skis for the first time. Lars and I hadn't been in about 5 years! Not since our 6 year anniversary when I hurt my tailbone bad falling as I got off the ski lift...
We borrowed some skis from my friend Aurora's little boy and they fit Ashton perfectly. Just like with anything new he does he got really nervous earlier in the day and as we were driving up. After school he looked up at the mountains and said "See all those trees Mommy? I don't think I want to go skiing after all, I might crash into one and crack my head." It's interesting to try to imagine what a kid is thinking of when they're getting ready to try something they've never done before. When we got there he kept asking lots of questions and getting really anxious, but we had signed him up for a lesson & Lars went along with him while Gunnar and I waiting in the lodge for awhile. Ashton did great and by the time Gunnar and I got back outside we went down to where they were skiing by the magic carpet and he was loving it! He fell quite a bit at first but caught on quick. So then I grabbed my skis... ...and went with him for a bit while Lars played with Gunnar and took him up the magic carpet a few times then took him back to the lodge. He was happy to just run and around and play in the snow...Oh and practice for when he gets his turn in a couple years...
funny kid!
When it got time to go we had to almost drag Ashton away he loved it so much and he's been begging for skis of his own and asking when we get to go again. Maybe we'll take him a couple more times this season...we'll see. I'm just glad he tried it and had fun!

No comments: