Sunday, September 11, 2011

Back to school!

Ashton was so excited and happy to go to his first day of first grade, but a little nervous. We'd gone the night before to back to school night and met his teacher Mrs. Rawlins. She is the new first grade teacher and so far we really like her.
Anyway he opted for taking a lunch that first day and he and I walked to school. I loved that he held my hand the whole way and really wanted me to walk him into his classroom. And I've been loving that he still wants me to take him almost to the door every day and be right outside the school to pick him up every afternoon. I will enjoy that as long as I can, knowing that it may not last much longer.
Hanging up his backpack...
 Sitting in the first row :) Lucky #11 again!
He is really loving first grade. When I pick him up, he goes on and on about all the stuff they did. He loves music class, art, P.E., going to the library and of course RECESS! As well as getting to eat lunch with his friends every day. He really loves when they get to do anything science related and is excited that he'll get to participate in the science fair this year!
I went in to volunteer last week not realizing that his teacher didn't really need volunteers yet, so she just had me tag along when the class went up to do a reading test to determine what level reading group they'd be in. Anyway Ashton and one other little boy were in there forever! In fact Mrs. Rawlins took the rest of the class back to the classroom and had me wait for Ashton and the other little boy until they were done. I kept wondering what was taking SO long, so I asked her the next day and she said that they just keep letting them read as many levels until they can't read the words anymore. So he took so long because he was reading so well! I'm so proud of him...he's in the highest reading group :)
As I was sitting there worrying that something was wrong for him to be in there so long!
Anyway I think we are all loving this new school schedule. We loved our summer, but it was time to get back to school. I miss Ashton, but to be honest I don't miss the fighting between him and Gunnar! Some days they are best buddies, playing good for hours...but man there are days when they fight like BROTHERS!
I LOVE this picture of them...especially since as I was taking some pictures of Ashton that first day, Gunnar ran out and wanted to be in them and Ashton did this all on his own :) I love Gunnar's happy face in it! Oh how he loves his brother!
And oh how I love this boy! First GRADER! Can't believe it!

No comments: