Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Joe's Valley Weekend...

After soccer camp, we headed out of town and drove the hour up to Joe's Valley...Lars used to go up there when he was a kid, but the rest of us had never been.
It's really pretty up there. We stayed in a little forest service cabin that they rent out.
 It was pretty rustic, with just a kitchen bathroom and 2 sets of bunkbeds in one of the rooms and two twin beds in the other room. So we stayed in the room with the bunkbeds and Nana & Papa stayed in the other room.
 Mat and Shelly and the kids recently bought a trailer, so they brought that up and parked it right by the cabin and stayed in it.
We had a really fun weekend...The boys all just loved playing around camp, going shooting etc...and the lake was so close we could jump in the truck and drive down to a fishing spot in about 5 minutes. Lars and I did that the first night and caught a few fish...
And saw one huge one come up and swim around close to the bank, but could never hook it.
On Saturday we got up and had breakfast, then Lars took Ashton shooting for a little bit and he shot an oversized squirrel?
...at least we think that's what it was, it was huge! Then we took the boys back down to the lake to try to catch some fish. They tried for a while with no luck. Then they just played in all the rocks while Lars and I still kept fishing. All of a sudden I hear Lars say he hooked into one of the big ones, so we all gathered around him and crossed our fingers that he would be able to reel it in!
He was fishing with an ultralight spinning rod with really light weight line, but miraculously he landed it. And it was a huge tiger musky! Apparently they are really hard fish to catch. It was so cool that he got it! It was funny, while he was fighting it I told Ashton that it would be so cool if Lars actually caught it and Ashton said "Why? Will Dad be famous?!" haha :)

Anyway luckily I hurried and snapped this one picture before Lars set the fish down right on the edge of the water and before he could grab it, it flipped over and swam away and broke off the line!
It was pretty exciting!
And then we never caught any more.
That night we did dutch oven potatoes and chicken on the grill and had s'mores by the fire again, then went to bed and got a much better night's sleep than the first night.
Oh I forgot to mention that Ali's boyfriend got put in our room with us the first night and snored loudly all night long!! So besides that, it was really fun weekend.
I even got a long run in on Sunday morning by the lake. I did 7 miles and it was such a pretty morning. I was the only one out there. Kind of funny that at one point I kind of accidentally ended up doing my own little cattle drive. One cow started running away from me down the highway, then about 50 other ones followed suit and I "herded" them for about a mile and a half. Who needs a horse?! It made me laugh and I thought it must have looked pretty funny if anyone had been around to see me!
Anyway it was nice to go see that area and have a relaxing weekend with everyone.
 
 


1 comment:

horsehug said...

I absolutely love reading about all your adventures!! That fish was HUGE :) I laughed out loud at parts of your story, but maybe not quite as much as when you told me on the phone about the weekend. :) I would never have recognized Ali at all. Oh and where was your camera when you were herding the cows?????