Monday, September 14, 2009

My sister Debbi...

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my sister Debbi. I actually never knew her...she was born on December 1, 1972...3 1/2 years before I was born, and sadly she died 17 months later. Actually 17 months, 17 days to be exact and it happened to be on the 17th of May.
Today Gunnar is exactly as old as Debbi was on the day she died. I guess that's why I've been thinking about her so much. Just the thought of losing him right now...I can't even imagine what it must have been like for my Mom and Dad. They were on their way back to Wyoming from New York and she started throwing up in the car. Then when they got back to my Grandpa's house, she was still sick the first day there, then they took her to the hospital. She got very dehydrated and passed away not too much later. The doctors said a virus had gone into her bloodstream and broke down her circulatory system.
This picture was taken in front of Niagara Falls on that trip home just days before she passed away... As I think about her and imagine what my Mom and Dad must have felt in her loss, I hold Gunnar (and Ashton) tighter and for longer. I think a lot of times we take for granted the time we have with our kids and wish we could "just get a break" from them. But what would it feel like if we never had another chance to hold them again? Never hear their sweet voices? Never kiss their sweet soft cheeks? Never hear their laughs? Never read them another book or rock them to sleep? I can't imagine...It is by far my biggest fear.
Debbi had red hair like Gunnar and in some old pictures some of the looks on her face remind me of him. (especially this one!)From what my Mom says she was feisty like Gunnar can be (and my sister Kelli with her red hair). She said at the time that she died she could say about 100 words and afterwards my Mom remembers counting all of them and remembering how she said them. She also told me about the nightmares of thinking she was still alive, then waking up to the sad reality of her being gone.
Luckily my Mom was just barely pregnant with my older brother Nathan and had him 9 months later and she's told me that it's always made her feel better to know that Debbi is in heaven looking out for the rest of us.

I just would have loved to have had an older sister (of course I love my younger one). But I often wonder what it would have been like. What she would have been like, and what she would have grown up to be. This December she would have turned 37!
I still have this Charlie Brown pillow that someone gave to her when she was a baby. Believe it or not, it is the pillow that I sleep on every night and have for years. (don't worry I wash it). Roommates and friends always used to make fun of me for it, but besides it being the most comfortable pillow ever, it makes me somehow feel closer to her. I love it.
Someday she and I will finally meet :)
When you kiss your kids tonight and put them to bed, hold them a little longer, maybe read them that extra book, and when they wake you up in the morning (a little too early)...get up and get them with a smile and thank God for another day with them. I know I will.

7 comments:

Cassidy said...

wow that was a very good post. Crazy but i was having the same thoughts last night as it was the first night blake has been gone. (new mexico) What my life would be without what i have, my boys my entire life is wrapped up in them. I loved you post and it made me cry. So sorry about your sister, i always wished i had one too. very good post

Cassidy said...

And they do look alot alike. Crazy

Jody said...

So sad. I never knew that and I lived with you for a whole year. It's amazing how some people can handle tragedies and it makes them stronger. Like your mom and you. Thank Heavens we believe in heaven and God it makes things like death a little easier to handle.. Maybe Debbie would have made you a little less wild. Just kidding. Thanks for the great reminder to enjoy each moment with our kids and to make every day and moment with them a little bit better.. Love ya and thinking of you.. one of these days I really will call you..!

Nora said...

Dear DIL: You shared your deepest thoughts & loss and never knew you had an older sister.I cried allot when I read about what your Mom and Dad had to go through, she looks allot like Gunnar.
Thanks for sharing our grandchildren with us this week, we enjoyed being with each one of you.Love MIL

Anderson Family
said...

I never knew...as a new mother and someone who lost their brother, I can relate. Your post made me tear up and kiss Jonah.

annilee said...

WOW Jess! That brought tears to my eyes! She does look a lot like Gunnar! How sweet, and I am very partial to the red heads! I will hold my kids even more today! Thank you for the beautiful reminder!

Lindee said...

Jess you are so amazing and I'm so grateful we are friends and neighbors! I also had a brother that died before I was born. I too have often thought about what my life would have been like with him there. He would've been Justin's age, so Justin thinks that he would have never let me date a guy his same age!

Thank you for the always needed reminder to be grateful for every moment we have with our little ones. We never know when it will be our last. You're awesome. Love ya!