Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Everything...

Well I can't seem to get motivated to catch up on all of the many posts from July that I still need to do, so I'll just post about everything else going on right now.
First of all...Hi Ashley :) You are so sweet to check my blog first thing every morning :) I think about you a lot and hope you are doing well and always hope to find time in my day to call you, but then the days get away from me. So here is your personal shout out...my most faithful blog reader! (she is my cute cousin :))

Next of all...well we'll start with the bad news I guess and get it out of the way. I cannot even believe I'm typing this, but we are about 95% sure that Lars has re-torn his achilles tendon. It is just unbelieveable! We are 2 days shy of hitting the 3 month point after his surgery. Yesterday I was sitting outside with about 4 of my neighbors and their kids enjoying the lazy afternoon when Lars pulled up after work. He had on his workout clothes, so I figured he'd been to the rec. to do his physical therapy that he now does on his own. I said hi, then saw his face and he said he needed to talk to me right away. Honestly I thought he was going to tell me that someone died! I followed him in and he proceeded to tell me that he was almost sure he'd re-torn his tendon. I knew he wasn't kidding at that point and didn't know what to say. He was doing an exercise that his physical therapist said was next on the list of exercises he should be doing for his rehab. He has followed his instructions exactly through all of this...but as he was doing it, he felt his ankle pop, then felt horrible pain in his tendon and pretty much knew it was torn again. This has been his biggest fear since his surgery and actually it is really rare, but it seems he may be in that very small percentage of people who go through the surgery and end up re-injuring it. I guess to put it in perspective, every single person almost that we told about him tearing it the first time immediately would say something like "Oh man...that's like the worst injury ever!" And the recovery time...6 to 8 months is horrible! So to be 3 months into recovery...really not even halfway there, and have to start ALL. OVER. AGAIN. is soooooo frustrating. I feel so bad for Lars. And really for all of us.

Today he went in and had his surgeon's P.A. look at it and she thinks it may not be completely torn again, but definitely a partial tear. Either way the odds are that he will have to have surgery again. He got an MRI this afternoon and will get the results of it tomorrow morning. Oh wait I hear him on the phone now and it sounds like he may be getting his results...

Yes...those were the results and it is almost completely torn again, hanging by a couple little strands. :(
Cannot believe it.

Anyway not a happy day. We have had a river fishing trip planned for months for just he and I and our good friends Nate and Brianne (and our boat) for this weekend. Babysitters have been set up, the boat is packed and we have been so excited for this...We were supposed to leave on Friday and float down the South Fork of the Snake River, then camp, then float again the next day, camp another night, then float and fish again. Obviously that isn't going to happen now. So disappointing.

But that is a small thing in comparison to the big picture of the next 6 months or longer. Obviously we both know that there are much worse things that we could be faced with and I really try to stay positive and remind Lars that he could be fighting cancer or really a huge list of worse things that people are going through, but it is still hard and just so deflating after he really was doing so well.

On a positive note the boys and  I are going to Vacation Bible School all week and it is so fun! It is really one of my favorite weeks of the summer. This year Gunnar gets to go to the preschool part of it and after having a hard time leaving my side (or actually clinging to me with a death grip), he got used to it and totally loves it. And Ashton runs right in and has a blast all day, then when we get home they both talk about it the rest of the day. Yesterday Gunnar was running around singing "God is great...He is AWESOME!" I love it! My job this year is VBS Spotlight...so I get to be the photographer, and I love it. It is my favorite job yet. Each day I have to get pictures of kids doing certain things to put into a slideshow that we play at the end of the day.
Anyway I love all that my boys learn and how much fun they have there and I have to say that all of us leaders to a fabulous job putting it on :)
It is however a little hard to get out of the house by 8 am! Since most of the summer we don't get up till 8 or 8:30 after going to bed late. But I guess it's about time to get into an early routine again.
I can't believe school starts 3 weeks from tomorrow!! For Ashton anyway...Gunnar doesn't start till the 8th of September. It is so hard to imagine him going to preschool! Although this week has been a great little preview of how it will go. Also so hard to imagine Ashton as a first grader...gone all day! I know it will be good for him and he will love it, but it will be hard at first.
Lately I find myself really missing their younger stages...time just goes way too fast. I miss my babies. I love the ages that they are at and all that they can do for themselves, and seeing them growing into these smart, funny, great little boys, but I just think I will always miss those sweet baby, toddler ages.
I guess there isn't much else going on right now and maybe now that I got that update out, I can go back and concentrate on catching up on all those other posts. Whenever I can find a spare minute...
Keep Lars in your prayers...this will be another long road for him and he is really discouraged right now.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Hey Jessica... I am so sorry to hear that Lars did actually re-tear it. I was hoping it was just strained or something. Keep your heads up although it may be hard for him at times! You guys will make it through!

And you're right about the kids growing up too fast. Trevor starts school this year too (all day Pre-K) and I am so not ready for him to be gone all day. And then I see our little Cooper and realize just how big my other two are...goes by WAY TOO FAST.

Ashley said...

Ah, poor Lars. I'm sorry. Let's hope he wasn't dunking the basketball. Oh, wait... he probably doesn't need to jump for that : )

thanks for the shout out. Love ya!

fourballerinas said...

Hey, good to catch up. We feel bad we weren't it didn't work out to see you guys. I'm so sorry that Lars has had another set back on his recovery. My dad tore his several years ago and it was a LONG road. His ankle still looks bad, but I don't think it bothers him- just looks wrong.
I'm super jealous of that fun trip you had planned. That would be a blast. Too bad- but like you said, you could be battling worse.
Kids do grown up so fast. My oldest is in her last year of Elementary at our school (4th) then she's off to middles school next year. Maybe you need another baby.
We will keep Lars in our prayers and hope he can recover without anymore setbacks. Good luck to him
Audrey