Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Goodbye Training Wheels!!

I think this picture explains it pretty well.
Ashton is SOOOO excited that he has his training wheels off of his bike! He asked Lars to take them off on Saturday, so he did and he practiced with him a little that day holding on to his seat. Then a little more Sunday afternoon. Yesterday of course Lars had to go to work and Ashton didn't really want me to help him, but finally decided that I was good enough. I held on to him a couple times and the next thing I knew he was doing it all on his own! When he did it for the first time on his own, he jumped up and said "Yes!" and the smile on his face was priceless. Success!! The rest of the day he practiced and practiced and practiced first perfecting going downill by coasting a little with his feet off the pedals, then putting them up to pedal. Learning how to start himself going uphill was a little harder and at one point I saw him getting pretty frustrated.
He was so funny though...he stopped, turned to me and said "If I was thinkin' about saying a bad word, I just hold it in right?" I was laughing so hard! But so proud of him for not saying whatever he was thinking.
(Oh...and to him bad words are...stupid, hate, kill...he knows he can't say those words in our house. Luckily he doesn't know any of the real bad words yet! Okay besides when he used to go around saying "We say dang it, not damn it Daddy")
Anyway it was nice that Gunnar took 2 good naps yesterday so I could be out there watching Ashton getting so excited about learning to ride his bike without training wheels.
What a fun day and BIG moment in a little boy's life!

I am so proud of him!

And I really can't believe how quick he caught on and how dedicated he has been to practicing. A bunch of the neighbor kids were playing outside yesterday afternoon and I told him he could go play with them, and he said...

"nope I'm gonna keep practicing riding my bike." Way to go Ashton!

4 comments:

Tallie Geddes said...

That first picture is a classic!! Love it!! Jace is right behind him - Ashton gave him that little extra incentive :) They grow up way to fast - wasn't it just yesterday when we were so excited about pushing them in our new joggers!

Ashley said...

Wohoo! Good job Ashton! I love the first picture too. I bet Lars was sad he missed it.

Angie said...

Way to go Ashton! And I mimic everyone else's thought about the first picture. We've been asking Ethan if he want's his training wheels off and his response, "Nope, I have to wait until I turn 5 to take them off." Ok - if you say so.

Cassidy said...

a. great job ashton. that is a big accomplishment b. So cute about gunnar removing his socks with his teeth c. you are so cute jess. You are a very good mom. I think you need to have one more. girl i think.