Friday, March 7, 2014

Loaves and Fishes community meal...

Last Saturday there was a Loaves and Fishes community meal that a lot of people from my church (and other volunteers) put on once a month. I've wanted to go help at some of the previous ones, but it's never worked out. This past Saturday we had nothing going on and it was a very rainy day...so I told the boys that we were going to go help at it.
At first they were not happy! They live for their Saturdays...just to be able to play all day. But I just explained to them that it was important and what it was for and that yes, we were going to help at it. They in fact didn't stop complaining until we walked through the doors. But once we got in there and it got started they did fine. One of the guys who was in charge got up and talked about why they put on this meal (that anyone can come eat at for free). He talked about a guy that lives in our community that is in a wheel chair and has shortened legs... (we've seen him around) and how at the last meal, he came up to him and told him that this once a month meal was the very best thing in his life. It was all I could do to not cry and I was glad that my boys got to hear him say that. I really want them to realize that this world is not just about us and that there are so many in need!
Anyway we all helped serving food and cleaning up etc...It was a lot of fun. I stationed the boys in the dessert line handing out cookies...
 We were there for about 2 hours and are already looking forward to helping at the next one and more things like it!


1 comment:

horsehug said...

What a wonderful thing for you and the kids to do, Jessica! I'm glad they got to hear that story as well. It made me cry just reading what you had written.