Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ashton is 4!!!

Happy 4th Birthday to Ashton today!!It was a snowy January day 4 years ago when Ashton was born at 4:17 pm in the Logan hospital. He weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 20 1/4 inches long. He was such a beautiful baby! There was a time when I started to think that we would never be able to have a baby, so when I found out I was finally pregnant, it was one of the best days of my life! We were really on the verge of giving up after trying for 2 1/2 years and I remember praying and just handing it over to God, then finding out not long after that we would be having our first baby. Our prayers had finally been answered!
There has never been a dull moment since he was born.
Ashton keeps us on our toes that's for sure!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this kid!
I love his infectious laugh and his beautiful smile.
I love how he can't stop his skinny little body from dancing when there's a song on that he likes.
I love how his brilliant little mind works...it blows me away sometimes the stuff that he comes up with. He's always been wise beyond his years and has always looked and acted so much older than he is.
I love his imagination and the way he pretends with everything.
I love how excited he gets about little things.
I love to see him learn new things.
(he wrote his name for the first time today!) I love to see him try to get Gunnar to laugh, and to see him laughing at funny stuff Gunnar does.
I love how he LOVES his Daddy and wants to be just like him.
I love it when every once in a great while he hugs me out of the blue or says something sweet like the other day when he said "you're a nice Mommy".
Even though it drives me crazy sometimes, I love how he asks so many questions and is so curious. And how every thought that comes to his mind comes out of his mouth. He rarely ever stops talking from the minute he gets up in the morning till we tuck him in at night! I love how he still loves his Lovey!
I love to sneak into his room after he's fallen asleep and just watch him or take a quick picture :) He never stops moving during the day, so it's nice to see him so still and peaceful. Today for his birthday he wanted pancakes for breakfast, then he wanted oatmeal and a toaster waffle for lunch. Then it was time to get ready for preschool...his first day back after the Christmas break. He was so excited to go. I called in to see if he could bring a treat since it was his birthday and his teacher said it was fine so he wanted to bring little Snickers bars (or "Sneakers" as he calls them).
He came home with a birthday hat and a little stuffed bear and said the class sang the Happy Birthday song to him. I love that he felt special in his class!
I had asked him all day long what he wanted to do after Daddy got off work to celebrate his Birthday, but he never really said. So I tried to talk him into going out to dinner, but he didn't really want to. Until I told him that since it was his birthday he could choose any of his pajamas and wear them to the restaurant. He immediately perked up and said "Without real clothes on over them?" and I said "yep only because it's your birthday." So he happily agreed and we took him to Chili's in his new Iron Man pajamas. Maybe this will become a tradition...last year we took him to Chili's in his Incredible pajamas. (that finally have holes in the knees, so I can hopefully get rid of them!!)
He said a couple of funny things at dinner that I have to put on here. One of Lars' friends from work stopped by our table and talked to us for a minute and when he walked away Ashton said "Was that your boyfriend Daddy?" Ha!
Then when Lars was looking at the menu trying to decide which dessert to get he (Lars) said "looks like they have a chocolate chip molten chocolate cake."
And Ashton said " A chocolate CHIPMUNK???"
I have to add how I love all of the funny things he says every day to my list!
He is so entertaining.
What a great, fun, happy kid!
Happy Birthday Ashton!
I LOVE YOU

3 comments:

Ballard Family said...

Happy B-day to your little guy. I'm glad you had a great Christmas.

Lindee said...

i'm so happy he had a great birthday! looks like you all had a blast.

Angie said...

Happy Birthday, Ashton! (a few days late, I know) Looks like you had a blast at your party, too!

What a great post -- it's fun to sit back and point out all the fun and good things that kids do and how much joy they bring to your life!